Inside the Texas Chicken Ranch: The Definitive Account of the Best Little Whorehouse is now listed on both Amazon.com and BarnesAndNoble.com for pre-order.
2016-2017 Book Tour Schedule
Jayme Lynn Blaschke is available for public speaking engagements at schools, libraries, civic organizations and professional conferences. As a lifelong journalist and media relations professional as well as an active member of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the Authors Guild, he attends multiple conventions and literary conferences annually and is comfortable in front of crowds, interacting with the audience using humor and a relaxed demeanor. Topics he is comfortable presenting include:
- July 10, 2016 1-3 p.m., San Pedro Playhouse, San Antonio, Texas
- July 17, 2016 1-3 p.m., San Pedro Playhouse, San Antonio, Texas
- July 24, 2016 1-3 p.m., San Pedro Playhouse, San Antonio, Texas
- July 29, 2016 Armadillocon 38, Austin, Texas
- July 30, 2016 Armadillocon 38, Austin, Texas
- July 31, 2016 1-3 p.m., San Pedro Playhouse, San Antonio, Texas
- August 4, 2016 6-7 p.m., Fayette Heritage Museum and Archive, La Grange, Texas
- August 6, 2016 4:30-6 p.m., Murder By The Book, Houston, Texas
- August 7, 2016 1-3 p.m., San Pedro Playhouse, San Antonio, Texas
- August 13, 2016 2 p.m. & 7 p.m., The Theatre Company, Bryan, Texas
- August 14, 2016 2 p.m., The Theatre Company, Bryan, Texas
- August 15, 2016 7-8 p.m., BookPeople, Austin, Texas
- August 18, 2016 7-8 p.m., Nesbitt Memorial Library, Columbus, Texas
- August 19, 2016 6-7 p.m., The Twig Book Shop, San Antonio, Texas
- August 20, 2016 6 p.m.-midnight, BOOK RELEASE PARTY, New Braunfels, Texas
- August 23, 2016 7 p.m., Brazos Bookstore, Houston, Texas
- September 1, 2016 5:30 p.m., Comal County A&M Club, Inferno's Pizza, Gruene, Texas
- September 2, 2016 6-10 p.m., Fayette County Fair, Fayette County Record booth, La Grange, Texas
- September 3, 2016 noon-2:30 p.m., MSC Bookstore, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- September 20, 2016 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Woman's Club of San Antonio, San Antonio Country Club, San Antonio, Texas
- September 22, 2016 8 p.m., Reddit Ask Me Anything
- September 23, 2016 7-9 p.m., Dahlia Woods Gallery/Bad Boy Books, San Marcos, Texas
- September 25, 2016 5-9 p.m., Wimberley Players fundraiser, Wimberley, Texas
- September 26, 2016 7-9 p.m., Trashy Ladies Book Club, San Marcos, Texas
- October 8, 2016 noon-2:30 p.m., MSC Bookstore, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- October 9, 2016 2-4 p.m., 2nd Sunday Gang, Fayette Heritage Museum and Archive, La Grange, Texas
- October 15, 2016 3-5 p.m., River Oaks Bookstore, Houston, Texas
- November 5, 2016 12:30-2:30 p.m., Texas Book Festival, Arcadia/History Press booth, Austin, Texas
- November 6, 2016 2-4 p.m., Texas Book Festival, Arcadia/History Press booth, Austin, Texas
- November 12, 2016 1-4 p.m., Local Author Fair, New Braunfels Public Library, New Braunfels, Texas
- November 17, 2016 Noon-1 p.m., Stone Oak Rotary, San Antonio, Texas
- November 26, 2016 2-4 p.m., Barnes & Noble, Waco, Texas
- January 26, 2017 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m., Austin Downtown Lions, Austin, Texas
- February 10-12, 2017 ConDFW, Fort Worth, Texas
- March 16, 2017 TBA, Barnes & Noble La Cantera, San Antonio, Texas
- April TBA, 2017 TBA, Barnes & Noble College Station, College Station, Texas
- June 3, 2017 1-3 p.m., Barnes & Noble, Sunset Valley, Austin, Texas
- August 4-6, 2017 ArmadilloCon 39, Austin, Texas
- November 2-5, 2017 World Fantasy Convention, San Antonio, Texas
Contact Jayme via email for booking information. Travel reimbursement, meal allowance and lodging (if an overnight stay is required) are negotiated in advance. Preference is given to non-profit organizations.
- The Chicken Ranch: Quite possibly the world's best-known former brothel, Jayme has extensively researched this strange, fascinating and funny episode of Texas history. Beyond the Chicken Ranch, he has uncovered a surprising wealth of information regarding other, lesser-known brothels that were a common fixture on the rural and urban Texas landscape throughout much of the 20th century.
- The Creative Writing Process: Suitable for schools, libraries and writers groups, Jayme has published a wealth of writing in a range of genres and delights in leading the audience through his eclectic creative process. Give a dozen writers a basic idea, and they're guaranteed to come up with a dozen different stories! When it comes to the creative process, one size definitely doesn't fit all!
- Science Fiction and Fantasy: "Sense of Wonder" is often cited as the flame that draws the moth of readership to genre. But why do readers crave the fantastic? And what can genre accomplish and offer and literature that other forms of writing can't or won't? Hint: It's more than bug-eyed aliens and unicorns. Specialized areas under science fiction and fantasy include:
- Worldbuilding: Crafting a setting for your story can be as challenging as it is rewarding. Whether it's a medieval fantasy realm that has to cope with the economic impact of marauding dragons or space colonists coping with hallucinogenic effects of alien pollen, it's the the telling detail that counts in selling the reader on the "reality" of the created world.
- Religion in the Fantastic: Belief is the one universal trait shared by all human civilizations, even though that belief isn't always the same--or even compatible. Even invented, mythologic belief systems in fantastic fiction need an underlying consistency that makes sense for the setting. Likewise, modern beliefs aren't static, and the far-future may well hold surprising changes to what modern civilization views as eternal and unchanging.
- The Art of Interviewing: Jayme has conducted hundreds of interviews with notable figures as diverse as Hillary Clinton, George W. Bush, Martin Luther King III, Kevin Smith, Nolan Ryan and Virginia Hey. With nearly 50 formal published interviews and the collected volume of genre-themed interviews, Voices of Vision: Creators of Science Fiction & Fantasy Speak to his name, Jayme is one of the top print interviewers working today. He draws on his extensive experience as a working journalist to show how good interviewers are made, not born. Researching the subject and building a rapport are essential to producing a quality interview where the subject's thoughts and opinions are presented clearly and accurately.